Welcome to another installment of Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl)!
Last year I started listening to audiobooks after several years of not thinking they were for me. I have a rather long commute, so I’m always looking for ways to make it less painful. Audiobooks quickly became my favorite thing to listen to! I also find them a great way to knock some backlist titles off of my bookshelves.
In no particular order, here are a few of my favorites!
1. THE SEVEN HUSBANDS OF EVELYN HUGO by Taylor Jenkins Reid: This was the very first audiobook I ever listened to and it remains a favorite! This book has a lot of hype all over the book community and I’m here to tell you…it’s real!
2. THE WIFE by Alafair Burke: I tend to end up listening to a variety of the monthly selections for Instagram’s Criminally Good Book Club because squeezing in a book club pick on top of new releases can be tough. I loved how timely THE WIFE was and it made for a very entertaining listen to combat traffic!
3. The Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny: I originally launched this series reading one book a month and quickly started to feel overwhelmed with keeping up. A fellow bookworm told me that the audiobooks were fantastic and the only way she would read these. I was hooked instantly! The narrators for this series truly transported me to the fictional world of Three Pines!
4. ALL THE BEAUTIFUL LIES by Peter Swanson: I’ve already told you all repeatedly about my shame for waiting to read a Peter Swanson book, but what I don’t talk about enough is how well done the audiobook was for this one! The narrator did a fantastic job of hooking me to this plot!
5. AN ANONYMOUS GIRL by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen: I heard from a fellow bookworm about how wonderful this audiobook was, so of course I snagged it immediately. WOW! Talk about an audio that sets the book for you! The dual narrators were amazing and when I went back and forth between listening/reading this book, their voices were what I imagined while reading.
6. THE GOOD DAUGHTER by Karin Slaughter: This audiobook is proof that they are a genius source for knocking books off of your backlist! I received this book as a Christmas present from my mother-in-law, but it’s chunky and I never found the right place to squeeze it in. After hearing how badly I needed to read Slaughter’s works, I picked up the audiobook and instantly became a huge fan!
7. SHARP OBJECTS by Gillian Flynn: I read this book years ago, but when I heard it was coming to HBO in a mini-series, I know I needed a refresher. Enter the audiobook! This book is fantastically narrated and all of the great feelings I had for the book during my original read through came flooding back while listening.
8. BEHIND HER EYES by Sarah Pinborough: Another backlist title conquered! Everyone either loves or hates this book and I picked it up from Book of the Month club desperate to find my side. Then it collected dust on my shelf until I saw the audiobook and decided it was just the listen I needed. In case you’re curious, I picked team “loved it”!
9. THEN SHE WAS GONE by Lisa Jewell: The minute I read the synopsis for this one I knew I needed to own it. I never found the time to pick it up until deciding on the audiobook. Another backlist title down. Another much loved author found.
10. BONFIRE by Krysten Ritter: In case you haven’t noticed the trend…I have been using audiobooks in a big way to conquer my Book of the Month backlist. I think it’s a great service and I continue to subscribe, however, I have now limited myself to one a month because I let great titles, like this one, sit on my shelf for way too long! Listening to Krysten Ritter’s debut novel was enchanting thanks to the narrator and a story I absolutely wished I would have read sooner!
Disclosure: What Jess Reads is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This in no way influences my opinion of the above book.